The Jean Stansfield Park, also known as Vicarage Park, began its life back in 1926 in memory of Jean, the daughter of Mr and Mrs S F Stansfield, who died tragically at the age of 10 years old.
Jean was a pupil at Westbourne House and her parents donated two acres of land to the people of Poulton to create a park and recreational ground for local children.
In 1938 the town’s first public bowling green and pavilion were opened in the park. The pavilion was surrounded by shrubs, donated by ‘Windsors Wollies’, with a green keeper’s table, a series of bowls shelves and lockers inside.
As the town grew, the Poulton-le-Fylde Urban District Council (one of the five local authorities which joined to form Wyre Borough Council in 1974) realised the need for more public recreational space and so they developed the Cottam Hall Playing Fields.
Today, the park certainly lives up to the Stansfields’ original hopes and intentions as it hosts a children’s play area, a crown green bowling green and an ornamental wetland area.
- 1 Crown Green Bowling Green
- Children’s Play area
- Picnic and an ornamental wetland area
- Multi-use games area